A citizen of another country must have some type of Visa that allows them to live and work in the United States. The most common Visa is the Immigrant Visa, which is more popularly known as the "Green Card." This card is issued by the United States government to citizens from other countries and allows them to live and work in the United States, although the Green Card is only valid for ten (10) years from the date of issue.

Usually Green Cards are issued to family members related to United States citizens, although there are some very specific rules and priorities related to whether a person can apply for, and be granted, a Green Card.

Since a Green Card is only valid for ten (10) years, an applicant must reapply before the expiration of this period. In most cases, it is better for the Green Card holder to consider applying for naturalization to become a citizen of the United States, if he/she wants to remain permanently in the US. There are some disqualifying factors that may prevent a person from being granted permission to become a naturalized US citizen, which we will review in this section.

Sections Available in Immigration
Family Based Immigration
Employment Based Immigration
Non-Immigrant Visas

The Law
  in Your Life
Elder Care
Family Health
  Legal Library
Access Financial
Small Claims &
  Consumer Help
Domestic Violence
Anatomy of a Case
Legal Document
  Wills & Trusts